Re: [ft-devel] ttfautohint: How to install

From: Dave Crossland
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] ttfautohint: How to install
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2011 19:43:06 +0100

Hi,

On 17 June 2011 18:12, vernon adams <address@hidden> wrote:
> I've carried out some simple tests using ttfautohint with the Ubuntu Font on
> Win XP & Win7, Chrome12 & Firefox4.
> The screenshots are at http://code.newtypography.co.uk/

Awesome! Thanks Vernon!

> Looks good so far, but i shall test more fonts, particularly a serif and a
> bold display face. I chose Ubuntu Font as i know it's well documented that
> Dalton Maag put a lot of professional hours into it's truetype instructions.

Fascinating. The autohinter produces more compact text horizontally -
there are often one more line in the Dalton-Maag hand/standard
hinting, and at 12px the autohinter makes the x-height noticably
higher. The i dot can be a bit weak compared to D-M, but perhaps they
are making it a bit heavy.

A Verdana comparison would be nice! :)

--
Cheers