Re: [ft-devel] Getting the kerning pairs in under O(n*n)

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Getting the kerning pairs in under O(n*n)
Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2012 07:48:16 +0200 (CEST)

> Might the suggestion that FreeType could perhaps /parse and expose/
> all tables without necessarily /handling/ all of them, help in this
> discussion?

There is already an API which exposes all SFNT tables.  Parsing
doesn't make sense at all: The SFNT tables are written for *live
access* (as done by HarfBuzz).  Everything else makes it far too
clumsy, slow, and memory hungry.

BTW, I got the impression that Vinnie's JUCE stuff puts all kerning
pairs into a table or so.  In case this is true, it is dead wrong for
reasons outlined by Adam.

> (Something else: in this and similar discussions I don't hear anyone
> mentioning m17nlib for text layout, [...]

I think that m17nlib has one single target: Emacs.  Consequently, it
uses Lisp code to control it.  However, as has been stated, the
developers don't have time, energy, or whatever to further develop it,
and IIRC it has been suggested by its authors that Emacs eventually
switches to Harfbuzz also.