Re: [ft-devel] Getting the kerning pairs in under O(n*n)

From: Alexei Podtelezhnikov
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Getting the kerning pairs in under O(n*n)
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2012 23:48:26 -0400

>> Please don't forget that FreeType's job is to render glyphs, nothing
>> else.
>
> My opinion is that since FreeType opens the font file, it might as
> well process everything that is in it.

I'm with the majority. Layout and rendering are different kreatures.
Auto-kerning is, however, a totally different story. Freetype should
be able to provide some shape descriptors to help fitting the
neighboring glyphs. For example, some sort of top, middle, and bottom
protrusion to the right and to the left of center. Undeniably,
Freetype is supposed to know the shape best.

Why did Tetris just come to my mind?