Re: [ft-devel] Getting the kerning pairs in under O(n*n)

From: emile-ft
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Getting the kerning pairs in under O(n*n)
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2012 02:41:32 +0200

Hi,

On Wed, Oct 03, 2012 at 02:38:40PM -0700, Vinnie Falco wrote:

> > Please don't forget that FreeType's job is to render glyphs, nothing
> > else.
>
> My opinion is that since FreeType opens the font file, it might as
> well process everything that is in it.

Might the suggestion that FreeType could perhaps /parse and expose/ all tables
without necessarily /handling/ all of them, help in this discussion?

Analogous to Adam's audio/video example, could it make sense for FreeType to
implement the audio/video demuxers (table parsers) and the video codecs (glyph
rendering), but not the audio codecs (text layout)?

(Something else: in this and similar discussions I don't hear anyone mentioning
m17nlib for text layout, even though it aims to handle all aspects of all
current unicode scripts. I've also found its API for that quite nice and
elegant a few years ago. When it's mentioned, it's mostly in the context of
multilingual input alone. Does it have pronounced disadvantages compared to
Harfbuzz or Pango that I'm missing?)

Kind regards,

Emile.

--