Re: [ft-devel] severe problems with subpixel hinting

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] severe problems with subpixel hinting
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2013 10:07:31 +0100 (CET)

> Well, I'm trying to set a variable inside the execution context
> during Ins_FDEF that will set compatibility mode to "on" for the
> rest of the execution of glyph hinting for that entire face.

OK.

> I'm assuming that the FDEFs are only read once during the prep, and
> not every time a glyph is loaded.

Yes.

> But, it "seems" (yes, a vague word) like compatibility mode isn't
> always on during execution, even though I know that the function
> opcode patterns were triggered, and compatibility_mode was set to
> TRUE for that execution context.

Have you tried to insert some debugging messages to check your
problem?

> So, that makes me wonder if my assumptions about the execution
> context are even correct.  Like, let's say that Times New Roman gets
> loaded, and Ins_FDEF detects that compatibility_mode should be set
> to TRUE.  I set it as such, and then, Oxygen gets loaded, which sets
> compatibility_mode to FALSE, because it's a modern font without the
> triggering opcode patterns.

You can only load a single font into an FT_Face structure.  In real
life, there are multiple faces used in parallel, managed by
higher-level libraries.

> Then, I load another glyph from Times New Roman.  Will the execution
> context for that glyph have compatibility_mode set to TRUE or FALSE?

It *must* be TRUE in the FT_Face object which holds Times New Roman.