Re: [ft-devel] severe problems with subpixel hinting

From: Infinality
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] severe problems with subpixel hinting
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2013 22:34:08 -0600

Ok, after more experimentation, it *does* detect and store
compatibility_mode correctly when I store it in the TT_Face
object. I am running into an odd issue with Firefox and TNR however.
For some reason, the patterns are not detected with Times New Roman
Regular.  And I know that Ins_FDEF is being executed because I used
debug messages.  Perhaps I'll have to be even more verbose with the
messages.  I have not seen this problem with any other face I've
tested, and it only happens in firefox.  Any ideas what might cause
that?  Is it possible that firefox is doing something incorrectly?
Maybe FontConfig has set up Times New Roman on your box to use
auto-hinting?  A bug in Firefox is also possible, of course...

     Werner

(oops, forgot to CC the list)

I'm definitely not using autohinting on TNR; I know it's using TT. I've verified with debug messages that for TNR Regular, subpixel hinting and ignore_x_mode are successfully being set TRUE in tt_loader_init(). However, the execution context in ttinterp.c has them set to FALSE at the beginning of TT_RunIns(). I'm wondering if in some cases the execution context is being *reused* in Firefox without calling tt_loader_init(). That could also explain the weird graphic glitches that only happen in TNR Regular. Does that sound plausible? Guess I'll have to dig into Firefox code.