Re: [ft-devel] heads-up: TrueType height computation has been fixed

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] heads-up: TrueType height computation has been fixed
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2013 08:19:01 +0100 (CET)

>> I wonder whether we should do the same for non-TrueType fonts.  I
>> think yes, but please comment!
>
> With TrueType fonts, one expects Windows-like behavior.  With
> others, one does not.  That said, there is a virtue in consistency.
> Either way, man.

If you look at the code for a single glyph,
`ft_glyphslot_grid_fit_metrics' in `ftobjs.c', you can see that we
indeed add ceiled and floored values.  However, for the global size
metrics (in function `ft_recompute_scaled_metrics'), we don't do
that...

On the other hand, David is right: For some non-TrueType font formats,
`height' is not always `ascender - descender' (cf. cffobjs.c:752, for
example).

So probably the current behaviour is the right one, or we indeed add
the guard David has suggested.  Tricky, tricky.