Re: [ft-devel] A few more problematic fonts

From: Hin-Tak Leung
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] A few more problematic fonts
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2013 23:24:13 +0000 (GMT)

------------------------------
On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 20:06 GMT Werner LEMBERG wrote:

>[Infinality, please read that!  I need your help.]
>

>> Just resending - I think this may have 'fallen through the crack'
>> when you were attending a course in mid-August.
>
>Thanks :-)
>
>> doesn't load:
>> http://ftp-archive.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD-Archive/ports/distfiles/zh-wangttf/WCL-02.ttf
>
>For me, this works just fine with the current version of git.  Can you
>be more specific what problems you encounter?

You already fixed this one - this was the one with the long path for ftdump.
Thanks.
128 Bytes was really too low - only windows CDs have 128 unicode char limit
these days... I think linux's is at least 1024 bytes.

>> Three fonts which seems to only work correctly at specific sizes:
>> (try ftview and go up and down in size):
>>

>> Shipped with Mac OS X:
>>   Library/Fonts/AppleMyungjo.ttf
>
>Unfortunately, I don't have a Mac, so I can't test this.

Inspired by your suggestions about the hk gov fonts below, I tried toggling
various features.

I found that this font seems to have bad embedded bitmap - if I toggle away
bitmap,
the visual problem goes away.

A typical entry in its ftdump looks like:
fixed size
     0: height 11, width 0
           size 9.000, x_ppem 9.000, y_ppem 9.000

and indeed, it looks bad at 9pt and all the sizes listed in ftdump. (9, 10, 12,
14, 16, 18, 20, 24).

The 'width 0' looks wrong. Can you auto-disable embedded bitmap for invalid
width?
I can send you the font itself - it is 19MB, but bzips to 6.3MB so just about
e-mailable
if you wants it.

>> These are reference fonts from the HK government:
>> http://www.ogcio.gov.hk/tc/business/tech_promotion/ccli/terms/doc/HKSCSIIC.TTF
>> http://www.ogcio.gov.hk/tc/business/tech_promotion/ccli/terms/doc/IICore.TTF
>>
>> The last two don't really work correctly for every glyph even at
>> the designed sizes. Some glyphs look broken even at the designed
>> sizes.
>
>The fonts are buggy, since the `maxSizeOfInstructions' field in the
>`maxp' table is set to zero...  Fixed now in git.
>
>However, it produces bad results if subpixel hinting is activated.
>Infinality, can you fix that?

With the latest code, I found that one needs hinting ON and anti-alias OFF for
the glyphs to look correct. Hope this helps.

Hin-tak