Re: [ft-devel] Slightly modified header inclusion scheme

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Slightly modified header inclusion scheme
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2015 09:36:22 +0200 (CEST)

>> Does this make sense?
>
> Not yet, sorry.

I think I begin to understand.  The issue seems to be that you want to
exactly control the *order* of -I arguments.  In other words, `-I
/usr/local' (which might even disappear due to the use of pkg-config)
is too generic to allow such a fine-grained control.

We thus have two goals: Minimizing the pollution of the header file
namespace, and precise -I argument handling.  A simple solution for
both problems that works with the current git is using a proper
`--includedir' argument to the configure script, for example

  ./configure --includedir=/usr/local/include/freetype2    ,

which leads to the following directory layout:

    include/
      freetype2/
        ft2build.h
        freetype2/
          ... all other header files ...

Doing so places `ft2build.h' only into the namespace while still using
an -I flag.

The question is whether this layout should be the default.  WDYT?