Re: [ft-devel] Experimental: v38 interpreter with minimal backwards comp

From: Nikolaus Waxweiler
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Experimental: v38 interpreter with minimal backwards compatibility mode and linear advance widths
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2016 23:58:35 +0100

So I've been running the code for one week or something with only minor changes here and there and I think it's in a good enough shape to ask for comments. Werner? ;) Also, what about Infinality's code? I'd be eager to remove it completely, but obviously the decision is up to you.

Known deficits:
- Can't switch between v35 and v38 in ftview, the program appears to hang. Haven't investigated yet. - There is at least one (web) font (Essay Text) that manages to change advance widths, even though it shouldn't. Must still track down. - No explicit handling of known tricky fonts, those should probably get the v35 interpreter unless they happen to be native ClearType fonts. - Still haven't checked if I can short out more things, would need to fiddle with FontForge so I can get a graphical debugger. Fonts like Times New Roman, Palatino and Georgia might benefit some more.
- Must still implement additional GETINFO flags.

A note on advance widths: I know that bytecode can change it around, but would that be compatible with FreeType's fractional advance widths support thing? My v38 always declares that subpixel positioning should be used and prevents most changes, read: is focused on linear advance widths. Given that hinting on the x-axis is mostly prevented and I see little use for changed advance widths outside of a Windows environment, I'd opine that v38 should do linear advance widths only.