Re: [ft-devel] Experimental: v38 interpreter with minimal backwards comp

From: Nikolaus Waxweiler
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Experimental: v38 interpreter with minimal backwards compatibility mode and linear advance widths
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2016 15:05:28 +0100

Hm, you mean stop movement in backwards compatibility mode but allow
when in "native ClearType" mode?

Yes.

Hm. Let's see if this is as easy as I think it is ;)

What do you mean with `classically hinted fonts'?  AFAIK, Arial
doesn't activate native ClearType mode (i.e., setting selector 3,
value 4 with INSTCTRL).  Actually, I'm not aware of a single widely
known font that does this, but it will certainly change in the future.

Classical in the sense that it was originally (super)hinted for black-and-white display, e.g. Arial, Times New Roman, Verdana, Georgia. The spacing they do looks off when stopping movement on the x-axis. Fonts developed with ClearType in mind do this a lot less and sometimes even react to the subpixel positioning GETINFO flag. The trouble is that I know of no way to tell the two groups apart beforehand.

The "native ClearType" fonts I found on a Windows 10 Update 1511 installation are: Constantia, Corbel, Sitka, Malgun Gothic, Microsoft JhengHei (Bold and UI Bold), Microsoft YaHei (Bold and UI Bold), SimSun, NSimSun and Yu Gothic. I found two web fonts, one's name was scrambled, the other is Neutraface, both are used on the "The New Yorker" site.

PS: TrueType hinting terminology is very confusing.