Re: [ft-devel] Experimental: v38 interpreter with minimal backwards comp

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Experimental: v38 interpreter with minimal backwards compatibility mode and linear advance widths
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2016 14:38:44 +0100 (CET)

> It is incompatible with TT_CONFIG_OPTION_SUBPIXEL_HINTING.

OK, I was missing this point.

>> I suggest that we allow advance width changes in native ClearType
>> hinting mode, being `better' than MS :-) Applications like web
>> browsers can still override this by using the unchanged advance
>> widths.
>
> Hm, you mean stop movement in backwards compatibility mode but allow
> when in "native ClearType" mode?

Yes.

> A problem I found was with "classically" hinted fonts like Arial
> that space all over the place unless you stop changes to the advance
> widths.

What do you mean with `classically hinted fonts'?  AFAIK, Arial
doesn't activate native ClearType mode (i.e., setting selector 3,
value 4 with INSTCTRL).  Actually, I'm not aware of a single widely
known font that does this, but it will certainly change in the future.