Re: [ft-devel] New `slight' auto-hinting mode

From: Hin-Tak Leung
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] New `slight' auto-hinting mode
Date: Wed, 3 May 2017 19:34:59 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 3/5/17, Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> wrote:

> It's not clear to me how
 you come to the value 3.  Since we are using
 26.6 fractional numbers for vectors, there are
 actually 64
 possible fractional offsets.

> For modes that don't do
 horizontal hinting (in particular `light'
 auto-hinting), simply shift the glyph by the
 fractional amount and
 display it.

Just the typical intended usage - LCD's with 3 elements. Just shifting
without horizontal hinting would cause a lot of colour fringes for every
vertical stem.

Horizontal hinting would also ikely reset and nullify the fractional advance...
definitely a lot to think about.

BTW, I rewrote and enhanced one the freetype-py sample to do also LCD_V in
cairo - here is the drawing:
https://github.com/rougier/freetype-py/pull/55#issuecomment-298181243