Re: [ft-devel] New `slight' auto-hinting mode

From: Alexei Podtelezhnikov
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] New `slight' auto-hinting mode
Date: Thu, 4 May 2017 08:13:09 -0400

On Thu, May 4, 2017 at 3:44 AM, Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> wrote:
> I can only repeat: Hinting and subpixel positioning *can* work
> together!  There is absolutely no reason why this shouldn't be
> possible.

The brilliance of lsb_delta and rsb_delta method is that it recognizes
that two extreme edges of the glyph are hinted mostly independently.
For these two degrees of freedom it uses two numbers and then cleverly
adjusts spacing between glyphs using these numbers. I doubt the
information contained in two numbers can be squeezed into one
fractional width. It is only possible if two numbers are related
rather than independent. This is pure theory.

Secondly, hinted stems are rigidly fixed to the grid. Thefore, the
whole hinted glyph image is fixed to the grid. Therefore, spacing
between the glyphs is fixed to the grid. Why should advance be
fractional? Please explain.

The discussion, however, started from 'slight" mode, see subject line,
i.e., hinting disabled. In this case, fractional width is indeed
possible and can be just dropped in place of rsb_delta, remember
lsb_delta is 0 and the spacing never adjusted in light mode. Ok?

I have repeated myself too many times. I should shut up.