Re: [ft-devel] New `slight' auto-hinting mode

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] New `slight' auto-hinting mode
Date: Thu, 04 May 2017 09:44:35 +0200 (CEST)

> In subpixel positioning you have to shift glyph to take into account
> previous fractional advance.  If you follow that by hinting, the
> result is not deterministic.  The bounding box may differ by 1
> pixel.  Warping is more stable basically because its shift will undo
> some of the original shift.

This is *exactly* what has to be investigated.  As I've written in a
previous mail, the question is how to tell the hinting engine what
fractional offset we have.  In other words, glyph shifting and hinting
must be *one* operation to avoid the issue you are describing above.

I can only repeat: Hinting and subpixel positioning *can* work
together!  There is absolutely no reason why this shouldn't be
possible.