Re: [ft-devel] Time for a new FreeType release

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Time for a new FreeType release
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2018 17:22:30 +0200 (CEST)

> Werner, as I understand it, the requirement is to support GNU make
> next to Autotools plus GNU make, no?  Platforms not supported by
> that (e.g. Windows) can use CMake?  I'm asking because Alexei says
> not all build systems are scriptable, so you always need to maintain
> a spelt out `ftconfig.h`.

Well, it should be possible to compile FreeType

(1) without any build tools (e.g., flat-directory compilation, as
    discussed in file `INSTALL.ANY');

(2) with GNU make (or its perl replacement, `makepp'), using only
    platform-specific tools (if any) that are always available;

(3) with GNU make + autotools (this is the default for UNIX, to be
called by the top-level `configure' wrapper script);

(4) any other build system that gets contributed.

For (1), you need a ready-to-run `ftconfig.h' file.  This could be
delivered in a tarball, created by `make dist'.  For (2) to (4), the
build systems themselves should create a suitable `ftconfig.h' file
from the template.