Re: [ft-devel] Rendering issues with xpdf (and other Linux based pdf vie

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Rendering issues with xpdf (and other Linux based pdf viewers)
Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2018 19:38:34 +0200 (CEST)

>> I was able to reproduce the missing dots with ftview in the
>> embedded file RSOAVR+Lohit-Devanagari.ttf (attached, they are OFL).
>> With native default hinter enabled, some dots are always missing
>> with sizes less than 57.  There is no problem with autohinter or
>> with hinting disabled.  ftview 48 RSOAVR+Lohit-Devanagari.ttf
>
> Specifically TrueType engine v40 and v35 do the damage.  v38 is
> fine.  Nikolaus?

The font is hinted with my ttfautohint program but using an older,
buggy version: For example, MS Visual TrueType reports

  Glyph ID 2
  Critical Error:
    Inst: WS Storage index out of range. Index = 96, Range = 0 .. 95
  At ByteOffset: 223 Of function: 4

In other words, Windows stops hinting and displays the glyph unhinted.
FreeType, on the other hand, tries to continue with hinting – in many
situations this is a good decision, but here we have a case where the
result is bad.

BTW, using the current version of Lohit Devanagari (2.95.4), which has
been hinted with a newer version of ttfautohint, the rendering is OK.