Re: [Freetype] [newbie/faq?] how can I display accented characters?

From: tech_related
Subject: Re: [Freetype] [newbie/faq?] how can I display accented characters?
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 21:51:38 GMT

Hello Werner,

Thank you for your reply; since I've now read a large part of the online
tutorial, I believe I can be more specific.

I am trying to print the character "á" using a library called libfnt which is
an extension to the GGI project and which relies
on FreeType2 for dealing with the fonts themselves.

In my test program, I begin by

FT_Init_FreeType(&ftlib);
FT_New_Face(ftlib, "arial.ttf", 0, &ftface);
FT_Set_Char_Size(ftface, 0 *16*64, 300,300);

and then run

index = FT_Get_Char(ftface, 'á');

By using libfnt, I try to display the glyph pointed to by this index but I get
an empty box; if after exiting graphics mode
I display to stdout the value of index, it is zero.

According to the tutorial, this means that no glyph image is available for this
character. But the same files under Win98
seem to contain these glyphs (I assume they do, since these characters are
correctly displayed under Windows and I just copied
these .ttf files from the C:\Windows\Fonts directory); how can I access them?

Is it a question of trying to use a different charmap? According to the
tutorial, the FT_New_Face() function should choose
the Unicode charmap if it is available, and since these files come from
MS-Windows, I thought that I would be working right
away with the correct charmap (i.e., one which would allow me to access this
glyph).

Can you offer any help on this issue?

Thank you for your input,

Manuel