Re: [Freetype] freetype-config fixes

From: Ian Britten
Subject: Re: [Freetype] freetype-config fixes
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 16:15:05 -0400

On Sat, 16 Mar 2002 08:20:07 +0100 (CET)
Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> wrote:

> For me both works.  I tried the usual incantation
>
>   ./configure --prefix=/xxx
>   make
>   make install

I installed from RPM/SRPM.  Is it possible this would have produced a
different config script?  (I haven't actually tracked how all that works...)

> Then calling
>
>   /xxx/bin/freetype-config --cflags
>
> I get
>
>   -I/xxx/include -I/xxx/include/freetype2       .

When I look in my config script, I see:
    if test "$echo_cflags" = "yes"; then
     cflags="-I${prefix}/include/freetype2"
     echo $cflags $includes
    fi

I'm not sure what the '$includes' is, or where it comes from, but the
script only seems to print out one -I.  As I said, I changed it to:
     cflags="-I${prefix}/include/freetype2 -I${prefix}/include"
and it worked.  :-/

> And
>
>   /xxx/bin/freetype-config --libs
>
> yields
>
>   -L/xxx/lib -lfreetype      .

I think I see the problem here.  Looking at the script, it does:
     libs="-lfreetype"
     if test "${exec_prefix}/lib" != "/usr/lib" ; then
      echo -L${exec_prefix}/lib $libs
     else
      echo $libs
     fi

Note that it won't print out -L/usr/lib.
I think that with XFree86 shipping an old version of -lfreetype, this is
going to cause more problems in the future...  (See my original message)

Perhaps someone (XFree86) should rename/hide their library?

> Is it possible that you are calling the wrong freetype-config script?

No.  It's the 2.0.x version.

Ian