[Freetype] Re: Suggested patch: bitmap fonts, foundry, family and fontco

From: Keith Packard
Subject: [Freetype] Re: Suggested patch: bitmap fonts, foundry, family and fontconfig/Xft2
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2003 03:14:32 -0700

Around 11 o'clock on Apr 9, Mike FABIAN wrote:

> I believe yes because foundry appears to be used only for bitmap
> fonts. Type1 apparently don't have something like foundry.  For
> example

What I also said was that we have bitmap fonts (Times, Helvetica and even
New Century Schoolbook) which clearly shouldn't have the foundry attached
to the family name as many documents refer to those fonts by name.

One (kludge) alternative is to do this only for 'fixed' fonts; are there a
small set of other bitmap families which are overloaded in this fashion?

-keith