[Freetype] Re: Suggested patch: bitmap fonts, foundry, family and fontco

From: Mike FABIAN
Subject: [Freetype] Re: Suggested patch: bitmap fonts, foundry, family and fontconfig/Xft2
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2003 18:08:54 +0200

Juliusz Chroboczek <address@hidden> さんは書きました:

>>> I believe that this is a fontconfig/Gnome bug, not something that
>>> should be fixed at the FreeType level.
>
> MF> Then it is also a Qt/KDE bug. You cannot distinguish these fonts in
> MF> the Qt/KDE font selection dialogs either.
>
> MF> TrueType fonts don't have something like "FOUNDRY",
>
>>> Yes, they do, in the OS/2 table.  Keith is planning to modify
>>> Fontconfig to properly export this value.
>
> MF> But this alone doesn't help, it remains mostly useless until
> MF> all of the GUI font selection dialogs support it.
>
> Hmm.  I think that fontconfig should provide both a foundry, a raw
> family name, and a human-visible family name.  The human-visible
> family name is what should appear in font dialogs.

That sounds good.

> The raw family name should always be whatever appears in the font file
> -- no magic, ever.  The human-visible family name should be equal to
> the concatenation of the foundry and the raw family name, except when
> either the foundry name is ``misc'' or ``unknown'', or else when the
> raw family name already starts or ends with the foundry name.
>
> (Note: the ``starts or ends with'' algorithm will need to be smart
> about variations such as ``Monotype Courier New'' vs. ``Courier New MT''.)

Yes.

> Is that okay with you?

I like that suggestion, I believe it would work well, the
human-visible font names constructed according to your description are
easy to understand for the user and it also solves the problem of the
duplicate family names for very different fonts.

> Do you believe it should be implemented at the
> fontconfig level or at the FreeType level?

I don't really know. As long as the user visible result in the GUI is
the same, I think either way is OK.

You think it makes technically more sense to implement it at the
fontconfig level?

--
Mike Fabian   <address@hidden>   http://www.suse.de/~mfabian
睡眠不足はいい仕事の敵だ。