Re: [Freetype] Problems with pcf format using freetype in win32 env

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Freetype] Problems with pcf format using freetype in win32 env
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 16:27:21 +0100 (CET)

> I am trying to use Freetype2 in a Win32 environment.  The font that
> I am trying to use is Roman Czyborra's unifont.  I used his utility
> to convert the font from 'hex' format to 'bdf' format.  Using this
> "unifont.bdf" works fine with Freetype2.  The file opens correctly
> and it renders correctly with the FT_Load_Char function.
>
> But in order to conserve space I used a linux machine to convert the 'bdf'
> file to a 'pcf' file using the command:
>       bdftopcf -o unifont.pcf unifont.bdf
> Then I compressed the font using:
>       gzip -9 unifont.pcf

X11R6 comes with a unifont.pcf.gz (size 814081 bytes; it must have
been released not later than than 2003-Feb-04) which works fine with
the ftview demo program on my Linux box.  Please download it and check
whether this version works OK for you too.  [

> I now try to use this "unifont.pcf.gz" file with freetype2 and it
> does not work correctly.  The file opens just fine but FT_Load_Char
> seems to return erronious data in the face structure.  I wondered if
> maybe it was the gzipped format so I tried again with the
> "unifont.pcf" file but had the same trouble (file loads correctly
> but FT_Load_Char does not return correct face data).  (Detailed
> information below.)

My suggestion is to try your font with the ftview demo program.  If
that fails please send an URL where I can download the font for
further investigation (even better would be a font reduced in size
which you can send me directly).

> Seeing that the 'pcf' and 'pcf.gz' return a different pitch for the
> glyph than the 'bdf' format, I wonder if it is just an improper use
> of the bdftopcf program due to padding or something.

I also get a pitch of 4 for my version of unifont.pcf.gz, so this
shouldn't be a problem.