Re: [ft] Regression (Tahoma strikes back)

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft] Regression (Tahoma strikes back)
Date: Sat, 16 May 2009 07:30:55 +0200 (CEST)

> Almost perfect* hinting of Tahoma got worse since FreeType 2.3.7 and
> stays that way - please see attached picture (top is good).  [...]

The current code is the right one -- this is, following the drop-out
modes as given in the specification instead of using always the same
mode --, however, there are some border cases which still fail, and I
haven't had time yet to fix them.  Additionally, the specification is
not helpful at all...

BTW, while Tahoma got worse here and there, a lot of fonts like
Palatino benefits enormously.

> It's quite big and what makes me wonder is USE_SCAN_CONVERSION_RULES
> - it doesn't seem to exist anywhere?

It was a temporary solution.

> * Not related to this particular regression: character 'Ł' at 10px -
>   one pixel is missing (right side of a stroke).

AFAIK, this is caused by the same problem.

Please look up the various FreeType bug reports on Savannah; if your
case isn't covered yet please file a new report.