Re: [ft] anti-aliasing question

From: Massimo DZ8
Subject: Re: [ft] anti-aliasing question
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 13:39:33 +0100

Side note:
... taking the output of FreeType and putting it in a texture ... note the removal of "3d" 3D textures are volumes with stp texture coordinates, GL_TEXTURE_3D (not to be confused with cube textures, as in GL_TEXTURE_CUBE_MAP, also using stp coords). for standard text, standard texturing with st texture coords is sufficient, to be drawn using GL_TEXTURE_2D.

*Yes, freetype allows to control antialiasing, there's an interactive demo about that;* however in a 3D pipeline you may have to take in consideration eventual non-standard blend modes and alpha test, which could shave off some pixels. Most GL applications will automatically linearly interpolate texels (as this is the default mode and most people don't mind setting GL_TEXTURE_NEAREST_MIPMAP_NEAREST as opposed to D3D9, where the default filtering is a NEAREST - blocky - one) and thus the effect of interpolating antialiased texture samples may result in overly blurry bounduaries: recall that 3d pipe texture samples are "points" as opposed to "pixels" as one (as the antialiaser) might expect/assume.

Embedding 2D text on 3D perspective-corrected surfaces? Then, you have nothing else to do than rely on texture interpolators, and just hope and pray everything is kept readable (all bets about constant sampling as intended by the antialiaser are off, as the texture domain is linearly deformed after AA operations). Don't worry, it's years texture interpolators are good enough to let you do this without much trouble.

Massimo

Dave Calkins ha scritto:
Werner, the more I think about this, I believe FreeType provides anti-aliased rendering doesn't it? I think the GL component is simply taking the output of FreeType and putting it in a 3D texture to be drawn by GL. But I think the anti-aliasing is something being done by FreeType.

Does FreeType allow you to control the degree of anti-aliasing?