[ft] Why is Freetype v2.7 refusing to use X11 PCF bitmap fonts ?

From: Laurent Le Pennec
Subject: [ft] Why is Freetype v2.7 refusing to use X11 PCF bitmap fonts ?
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2017 20:39:08 +0100

Greetings,

My distro's maker (PCLinuxOS) just updated today their Freetype packages
from v2.6.5 to v2.7.1. After I updated, I lost the possibility to get the
Adbobe Helvetica, Courier, Times (X11 bitmap PCF) fonts displayed (these
fonts do not even get listed any more in the fonts list of the font
selector for the theme configuration tool).

I downloaded the sources, read the change log since v2.6.5, compiled
with and without FT_CONFIG_OPTION_SUBPIXEL_RENDERING, with
TT_CONFIG_OPTION_SUBPIXEL_HINTING defined as 1, 2, (1 | 2), and
undefined, all to no avail !

I for now reverted to v2.6.5, but I'd like to know why I'm having this
problem with v2.7: it certainly looks like a bug, unless I missed
something...

Regards.