Re: [ft] Why is Freetype v2.7 refusing to use X11 PCF bitmap fonts ?

From: Laurent Le Pennec
Subject: Re: [ft] Why is Freetype v2.7 refusing to use X11 PCF bitmap fonts ?
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2017 21:09:47 +0100

On Tue, 03 Jan 2017 20:45:38 +0100 (CET), Werner LEMBERG wrote:

> > I downloaded the sources, read the change log since v2.6.5, compiled
> > with and without FT_CONFIG_OPTION_SUBPIXEL_RENDERING, with
> > TT_CONFIG_OPTION_SUBPIXEL_HINTING defined as 1, 2, (1 | 2), and
> > undefined, all to no avail !
>
> Please test your PCF files with `ftview'.  If you find a problematic
> one, please tell.

Using ftview, I indeed can see the fonts...

> Otherwise it's not a FreeType problem but probably
> related to changed settings with fontconfig

There's no fontconfig related change (no new fontconfig-related file,
no fontconfig command issued) in PCLinuxOS's freetype package... So
I'm clueless about what causes fontconfig to suddenly fail detecting
or retaining the PCF fonts on my system !

> I can imagine that outline fonts are preferred over PCF.

I removed (long ago: when I installed the system) all the *.conf files
in /etc/fonts/conf.d/ that impaired the displaying of the gorgeous
(pixel-perfect) bitmap fonts over the ugly (blurry/fuzzy) TTF fonts
(Liberation & Co)...

The following config files have been removed when compared to the stock
installation:

10-antialias.conf
26-mdv-no-embeddedbitmap.conf
30-mdv-avoid-bitmap.conf
30-mdv-urwfonts.conf
30-metric-aliases.conf

Beside, I don't see why my setting would have worked fine for years
(with freetype v2.4 to v2.6, at the very least) and suddenly get broken
with freetype v2.7: any interaction between freetype and fontconfig that
could explain that ?

Many thanks in advance.