Re: [ft] Why is Freetype v2.7 refusing to use X11 PCF bitmap fonts ?

From: Lawrence D'Oliveiro
Subject: Re: [ft] Why is Freetype v2.7 refusing to use X11 PCF bitmap fonts ?
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2017 10:06:17 +1300

On Tue, 3 Jan 2017 21:09:47 +0100, Laurent Le Pennec wrote:

> There's no fontconfig related change (no new fontconfig-related file,
> no fontconfig command issued) in PCLinuxOS's freetype package... So
> I'm clueless about what causes fontconfig to suddenly fail detecting
> or retaining the PCF fonts on my system !

It’s easy enough to test your Fontconfig setup with the fc-match
command. Give it the same font spec string you are using in your
program, and you can optionally ask for more details about the
match, e.g.

    address@hidden:~> fc-match helvetica
    n019003l.pfb: "Nimbus Sans L" "Regular"
    address@hidden:~> fc-match helvetica file
    :file=/usr/share/fonts/type1/gsfonts/n019003l.pfb
    address@hidden:~> fc-match helvetica file family
    Nimbus Sans L:file=/usr/share/fonts/type1/gsfonts/n019003l.pfb