Re: [Fsfe-uk] New Year, new work to do

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] New Year, new work to do
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2002 15:53:39 +0000

> > Yes.  Unless someone shouts very quickly, I'm off to try to look at the
> > papers for preparing our own incorporation today, so that we can discuss any
> > blanks to be filled in.  As they say, it's time to JFDI.
> JFDI indeed ;)

Other than the official forms, which should be fairly self-completing, I'm
proposing that we steal wholesale from the UKUUG Memorandum and Articles,
unless there's a problem with that?  Esteemed Comrade Kergon, are there
things we should "fix" and where did they come from?  The standard ones with
changes?

In any case, we'll need to frame the objects in a suitable way.  My current
draft is this:

     3. The objects for which the Company is established are

             i. to promote and advance the knowledge, use and application
                of free software pioneered by the Free Software Foundation
                and others.

            ii. to facilitate the exchange of information and views on the use
                and development of free software.

           iii. to inform public opinion upon the subject of free software.

           iv. to encourage internationalisation and localisation of
               free software.

             v. to ensure the continued legal existance of free software
                within the United Kingdom.

...and then the UKUUG memo goes into a long list of activities which it may
do to fulfil those objects.  Are the above objects an adequate reflection of
our aims?  Is there something else we want to include?

The other thing is that we may need a Commissioner for Oaths, a JP or a
Solicitor to witness signatures.  I have conflicting information on that,
but I am trying to resolve it for sure.
--
MJR