Re: [Fsfe-uk] Fwd: UK Leading Patents?

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Fwd: UK Leading Patents?
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2002 14:08:33 GMT

Brian Gough <address@hidden> wrote:
> MJ Ray writes:
> > Forwarded after a request from Xavi Drudis Ferran <address@hidden>
> > From: PILCH Hartmut <address@hidden>
> > Subject: [Patents] UKPTO software piracy watch page
> > > a) ensuring they are factually correct/accurate
> > Not only the EPO but also the UKPTO and some british courts are at fault.
> > The british patent lobby is the driving force in Brussels, and it is
> > wearing the hat of the UK government in supporting the EC's drive
> > for unlimited patentability....
> Seems like we have our first task then.

OK, in the absence of any other dictators on this task, I suggest:

1. Someone with a few minutes to spare contact UKPTO and double-check that
the allegations made against them are true, or at least find verifying
independent evidence on the web about this.  Nothing worse than going off at
half-cock.

THEN

2. Someone with a few more minutes draft a response to UKPTO based on the
material from the ffii site.  Preferably with a resonable chance of fitting
in A4 and suitable for all members to add details, print and send to them.

3. Someone with a similar amount of time (or the same person) to tailor the
letter to parliamentary representatives in a similar fashion.

4. Someone with a lot of time and knowledge of German to translate the
letter to Newspaper Editors.

FINALLY

5. Our over-wrought web editor to make this one of the first "Easy tasks"
once we have printing letters available and to add links to the ffii pages.
We need a "I sent this letter" click counter on the site.

6. All members to print a couple of letters and then update the counters.

7. Journalists who are reading this to give it some space.

What did I forget?