Re: [Fsfe-uk] Fwd: UK Leading Patents?

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Fwd: UK Leading Patents?
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2002 20:01:26 GMT

Alex Hudson <address@hidden> wrote:
> To be honest, having read most of what has been linked up here, I'm not
> really buying into much of this. I would gladly be better informed if
> this wasn't the case, but directing criticism at the UKPTO seems mostly
> unjustified. [...]

>From discussions elsewhere, I'm inclined to believe that the real problem is
with other UK groups who are campaigning for broadening of software patents.
It seems likely that these are causing the UK Government to be in favour of
this bad step, so the best step forward is to do the "lobbying elected
representatives" part of my earlier plan.  Do people agree?

> I still see the problem as a European one.  [...]

We must be sure to include in our campaign that we want the EPO policy
corrected.  At the moment, this issue seems to being lead by FFII, so it
seems natural that it should be an AFFS campaign in this country.  If anyone
can help to complete the translation of their site into English, it would be
appreciated.  My German is furchtbar (and probably fubar).

--