Re: [Fsfe-uk] Fwd: UK Leading Patents?

From: Ramin Nakisa
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Fwd: UK Leading Patents?
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2002 22:30:45 +0000

> I still see the problem as a European one. I haven't seen any evidence
> which supports the claims which were posted to this list, which makes
> the UKPTO/BSA/UK Govt. appear to be in the same league as the Bilderburg
> group. I would welcome further information though - if anyone can show
> me that the UK Govt. is pushing software patents in Europe, then I will
> be a vocal lobbyist against this action. But, I don't see it. It still
> seems (to me) to be a European issue which we must attack as Europeans
> at the European level, all of us.

I suppose it's our role to ensure that UK MPs and other decision makers hear
our side of the story, rather than just the software business side.  Given
that almost all UK politicians (domestic and European) don't understand what
Free software is, or why it's a Good Thing, we have a difficult task.
Americans feel as if they own their public services departments, and so
should we.  The UKPTO should respond to pressure from the electorate via
politicians, and it's up to us to make sure they hear our voice via
politicians.