Re: [Fsfe-uk] AFFS Activity report 11 Mar 2002

From: Alex Hudson
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] AFFS Activity report 11 Mar 2002
Date: 11 Mar 2002 19:58:31 +0000

On Mon, 2002-03-11 at 15:13, MJ Ray wrote:
> Task: Finishing setup of financial affairs
> Who I'm blaming: MJ Ray
> What for: Current estimate is that we can start taking money next week.

Sounds about right. I finished off what forms I had to do this morning,
so you should receive them tomorrow or Wednesday at the latest.

> Task: Updating the web site
> Who : Alex Hudson
> What: Need this sort of thing online and easy actions for supporters

Fine, will do.

> Task: Patent campaign
> Who : Alex Hudson?
> What: Researching at the moment.  What are the next steps?

We probably need to contact CDR at some point, if they're not already
aware of us. I think I'm also going to try and see if we can find some
friendly IP lawyers. I know someone studying law at the moment, in the
field of IP, so hopefully they will have some pointers. I would hope
that looking at questions of law from the Free Software point of view
will be of sufficient interest to grab someones attention, but we'll
see...

I'm also going to try getting a meeting with someone at UKPTO, because
it appears there are at least serious claims which we need to research
thoroughly. At least meeting them and making them aware of our presence
would be good, unless anyone has any better ideas?

> Task: Preparation of Birmingham Expo
> Who : Martyn Ranyard?  Richard Ibbotson?
> What: Well, it's happening.  What should we do there?  What do we need?

I'll bang this on the AFFS 'diary'. We ought to firstly find out how big
a display we're going to be responsible for - a whole stand? Share with
FSF/E? Etc...

> Task: A new free software-type news web site
> Who : Me, with barracking/help from robster
> What: Software being rewritten.

A UK version of GNU Friends?

> Task: Arranging the first committee meeting

We should try and have this before May, which means a window of two
months-ish. I can't think of anything else interesting happening in that
time frame which we could leech off of - like we have previously ;) - so
perhaps it's time for a 'just AFFS' meeting? I would suggest London...

> Task: Finding out what CDR are doing about patents

ATM, nothing (I think), but I would assume it's a problem they'd be
interested in.. (see above).