Re: [Fsfe-uk] OpenOffice

From: Imran Ghory
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] OpenOffice
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 00:01:24 +0000 (GMT)

On Mon, 11 Mar 2002, Ramin Nakisa wrote:

> How complete/stable/MS-compatible is OpenOffice?  In the state that it was in
> a year ago I wouldn't feel comfortable recommending it to anyone.  I have it
> on a LinuxFormat DVD somewhere but haven't time or disk space to install it.

I tried it at the end of last year(the windows version) and found it to be
buggy and unstable.

For home users(again on Windows) I am perfectly happy recommending
Abiword (http://www.abiword.com/). Abiword is fast, stable and has a solid
set of features. While it in no way compares to MS Word/StarWriter/latex
in terms of functionality for complex document, I find it perfectly
acceptable for writing letters, short reports, lists, etc.

One of the main problems with getting people to use free(aib) software is
that a large number of home users have unlicenced copies of MS Office so
don't see any cost benefit in changing software.

Imran