Re: [Fsfe-uk] education

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] education
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 19:33:48 +0000

Richard:
> Probably our most important rĂ´le, atm. But whom are we goimg to educate.
> Obvious targets are DfEE, becta, Nesta et al. (as well as the educational
> press).

Yes to all of these.  An interesting long-term angle would be to convert
some student media, as that's the normal recruiting ground for the media.

> In doing this we should be looking to make alliamces with
> those already involved (eg Red Hat have been mentioned).

Yes, but we must be careful to make sure it supports our campaign.

> [...] they may not worry about access to source :-) The vendor lock-in
> argument is important here, but half of all British schools are locked
> into a single vendor, anyway: RM

In two phrases, you have why they should care.  How to make them wake up,
though?  Wasted public money doesn't seem to be enough.

> A well-maintained website, listing all the apps schools could ever need,
> would also be a great resource for advocates of Free Software in Education
> :-)

Are we best to do this ourselves, or work with something like debian-jr?
IIRC, it should be possible to build another catalogue out of debian-jr's
selections pointing to the original packages as well as their Debian names.

> Wouldn't that distract you from your flame wars on other lists 8-P

I still don't understand how it was "offensive" and they don't seem to want
to tell me.
--
MJR