Re: [Fsfe-uk] education

From: Richard Smedley
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] education
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 19:43:07 +0000

MJ Ray wrote:

> > A well-maintained website, listing all the apps schools could ever need,
> > would also be a great resource for advocates of Free Software in Education
> > :-)
>
> Are we best to do this ourselves, or work with something like debian-jr?
> IIRC, it should be possible to build another catalogue out of debian-jr's
> selections pointing to the original packages as well as their Debian names.

debian-jr is purposefully _not_ about education
in the formal sense. A debian-edu project has been
suggested many times, but no one seems to want to
sacrifice all their free time and more to start it =o/

Another point to consider is that in addition to actual
educational apps schools need apps to deal with their
day-to-day beaurocracy on the admin side. Also for
teacher's lesson plans. This is the sort of thing
that schoolforge and SEUL/edu have collected much
information on, but it could do with British teachers
to take a look at it and suggest what needs changing
to be of use in the UK.

> > Wouldn't that distract you from your flame wars on other lists 8-P
>
> I still don't understand how it was "offensive" and they don't seem to want
> to tell me.

I just wouldn't cross the Medway after dark, if I was you ;-)

- Richard

--

Richard Smedley
Production Editor, Linux Format