Re: [Fsfe-uk] GNU/Linux, Linux divide

From: ralph
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] GNU/Linux, Linux divide
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2002 23:35:51 +0000

Hi John,

> i am of the opinion that the appellation GNU/Linux must be used from
> the word go. If some find it difficult to grasp then it needs
> explaining.

They won't find it difficult to grasp initially, they'll simply not
have the foggiest what you're on about -- GNU/Linux?  So you'll have to
waste valuable time, and you won't have their attention for long,
explaining some insignificant *to them* detail that they just *do not
care about*.

If you try explaining it at this very initial, introductory, point in
the conversation they'll glaze over and tell their friends you're a
bore instead of telling their friends to have a look at this handy
one-side intro.

> I can see very little point in even trying to begin AFFS unless GNU
> is included, it's the main plank of it's structure, what would Linux
> run on if not for GNU?

Linux normally runs on hardware, not GNU  :-)

> To reiterate, I am of the opinion that we can not perpetuate and
> extend the laziness of calling the system by the kernel's name.

Sometimes you have to make a little concession for greater good in the
long term.

Cheers,

Ralph.