Re: [Fsfe-uk] GNU/Linux, Linux divide

From: Vanessa Conchodon
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] GNU/Linux, Linux divide
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2002 10:29:58 +0200

I agree with John, we should talk about GNU/linux.
It's not a good thing to talk about linux only.
People have to understand that OS is different from
applications and that GNU has provided most of programs
(shell & commands, libraries,...) that helps us to use
linux. In comparison with a car, linux is the motor
and GNU provides steering wheel, pedals and levers
to help us use it. Not really difficult to explain.
We must have a clear position about that.

linux appears 3 times:
- 2 when talking about IBM. You can say that IBM has
  invested money in Linux (as hardware kernel) but
  they sell computers with GNU/Linux pre-installed.
- 1 when talking about installation and I'd prefer
  to see GNU/linux. I'd suggest to modify the order
  of the bricks like that:
----
\item [Operating system kernel] Linux.
\item [Basic utility programmes] GNU provides the bulk of these.
\item [Desktop applications] KDE, Gnome, GNUstep, and XFCE offer a
  selection of attractive and easy to use graphical interfaces.
\item [Office application] OpenOffice is a word-processing, email,
  spreadsheet and presentation package that is compatible and visually
  similar to Microsoft Office.
\item [Internet browser] Mozilla, Galeon, Konqueror or Nautilus.
\item [Web site application] Apache is industry standard software used
  to run 57\% of the World's web sites.
\item [Utility programms] lots of applications are provided, not
  only by GNU.
----
I've stuck the GNU line to the linux line and I added
a [Utility programms] line as lots of non-basic applications
are not provided by GNU.

We don't have to make concession about GNU/Linux,
we have to educate people. For people knowing linux,
talking about GNU/linux will lead them to the
question "why do they add GNU?" and they'll ask us.
For people with no knowledge about it, we can easily
explain it. I don't think that adding GNU/linux will be
an obstacle for people.

                        Nessie.
--
 Vanessa  Conchodon                            ^ee^
                                               (_/ `-^-.