[Fsfe-uk] Fwd: Linux getting into UK schools

From: MJ Ray
Subject: [Fsfe-uk] Fwd: Linux getting into UK schools
Date: Sat, 11 May 2002 12:28:04 +0100

Interesting snippet from the newsgroups.  I'm not sure what this says in
general, though, but it matches up with what I've heard from colleges,
although this is a younger age group.

From: Jabali Pragya <address@hidden>
Subject: Linux getting into UK schools
Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 21:46:20 +0100
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux

My nephew got his first own PC for the thirteenth birthday. It arrived a
day before the big day and he rang me to give the news. To my surprise he
asked me if I would install Linux in it. I agreed and asked him how he
found out about Linux. He told me that they have a couple of PCs in their
school running Linux but those are for the 6th formers only. He has seen
Linux running, liked what he saw and wanted it for his own PC.

Next day I installed LM8.0 for him. When his friends arrived he rpoudly
showed them his new PC running Linux, rather than the XP. One 16 year old
from a different school asked me if kde3 could be installed on it. On my
querry he told me that their school also has PCs running Linux and the IT
students actually like it more than the Windows as they can tweak the
system in all sorts of ways which is impossible with the Windows.

I am not sure how typical these schools are - as they are both independent
schools with good IT departments. But it appears that Linux is at least
getting into some schools and the next generation would be Linux savvy.

--

jabali