Re: [Fsfe-uk] The threat of a good example continued

From: Marc Eberhard
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] The threat of a good example continued
Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 11:31:02 +0100

Dear Tristan,

thanks for the pointers!

On Fri, May 10, 2002 at 03:07:11PM +0100, Tristan Roddis wrote:
> I would guess they're referring to the draft RFC document 'Open Source
> Software use within UK Government':
>
> http://www.govtalk.gov.uk/rfc/rfc_document.asp?docnum=429
>
> Reading it shows that it falls a long way short of 'mandatory
> introduction', but at least it's on somebody's radar. The releated QinetiQ

I think, it is quite sensible. It doesn't propose to make Free Software
(they use OSS in the document unfortunately) mandatory, but it clearly
states, that lock-in conditions must be avoided by insisting on documented
protocols and data formats for information interchange. This is already a
very important practical step to allow a fair competition, because it keeps
companies from playing other against the wall by constantly changing data
formats and protocols. They also acknowledge, that Free Software usually
provides far better security then proprietary products. I think, this
proposal is real a very good step into the right direction and would help
Free Software, if adapted.

> document goes into a lot more detail and seems to do a pretty good job at
> introducing the concept of free software and how it could be used:
>
> http://www.govtalk.gov.uk/documents/QinetiQ_OSS_rep.pdf

They again use OSS, but apart from that, it sounds very fair. Just read the
first 9 pages, as I don't have time to read the whole report. But I do have
the impression, that it does go into the right direction.

Does anyone have contacts with one of the authors of either document or some
person, that deals with it? Such a link could be extremely useful for both
sides.

Bye,
Marc

email: address@hidden