RE: [Fsfe-uk] NCC Filetab for Linux

From: Martyn Ranyard
Subject: RE: [Fsfe-uk] NCC Filetab for Linux
Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2002 13:04:59 +0100

At 01:00 PM 7/1/02 +0100, Tom Weiss wrote:
[Tom Weiss says]

Given that this software is free (as in beer) if not GPL'd, runs on
Linux, and fills a gap in the currently available software, this seems
like a rather unsporting response.

If you really want free software to take off you need to work with
people outside the community rather than attack them.

t.

I don't think I am out of order, the poster should have known better - he posted a report on open source (sic), the list is FSF-europe, and I don't care what the software does, it's proprietary and therefore not free. Definitely not the place to post, at least not without warning readers that it isn't free. This list is not about free as in cost free - it is about free as in freedom.

A lot of people on this list are interested in freedom, myself included, and will not sacrifice time and effort on a program that could never release another version, so any usage would be locked in. I will pay for free software, but I will not install non-free software into GNU/Linux, and I think a lot of other people on this list will agree with me.

Martyn Ranyard
Free Software Advocate

icq - 122500800
irc - Joran on OPN