RE: Development models // was Re: [Fsfe-uk] NCC Filetab for Linux

From: Martyn Ranyard
Subject: RE: Development models // was Re: [Fsfe-uk] NCC Filetab for Linux
Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2002 14:59:33 +0100

At 02:47 PM 7/1/02 +0100, Tom Weiss wrote:
When Michael posts, it is an announcement, which never goes down well on
any internet lists (except specific announcement lists).

I don't agree - if it was an announcement of Free Software, I don't think anyone would have objected, assuming it was a First Post, not just "new version of OOo available"

If I had made the post, saying "did you know that FileTab is now
available for Linux, isn't this another great sign of Linux going
mainstream" then it wouldn't be an announcement and no one would
complain.

I would have asked "what is FileTab" and almost certainly "is it GPL?".

I'd suggest that such posts are tolerated as long as they don't increase
to the level that the list is effectively a collection of spam.

Again, I disagree - the list is for Free Software discussion, it is not Free Software and shouldn't be announced here at all.

Martyn Ranyard
Free Software Advocate

jabber - address@hidden
icq    - 122500800