Re: [Fsfe-uk] GNU/Free Internet Cafe / Was : Free internet (technologica

From: Ramanan Selvaratnam
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] GNU/Free Internet Cafe / Was : Free internet (technologically)
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2003 00:34:30 +0100

Subhi S Hashwa wrote:

Hello All,

I got an email from Rama asking if we use free software in the
Internet Cafe which I run.

Thanks Subhi.
I guess the email to <address@hidden> reaches you.

I found the [e-corner] through a web search after a hint on this list.

My main interest is to set up some computers for many uses and make them available to the public, possibly as an internet cafe like setup sometime soon.
It will have to be London.
[...]

Its the user that dictates
the software they want in enviroment such a my cafe.
Not in the one I have dreamt up :-)
If the user insists on non free systems (s)he gets more information on why software should be free!

Also when it comes to Multimedia etc people want to plug in a digital
camera, not worry about drivers or which USB driver + Mass storage to
use, etc,

This is valid point. I did not realise this growing need. Thanks.

again its not 100% there yet. there is catching up to do.
Well, I have seen better distro releases in the last month and I guess one could have atleast one machine on the network compiled with experimental features in Linux to boost the number of devices supported.

We
are also in no position to offer support and help on configuring linux
to connect a digital camera, most people have limited amount of time
which they want to get the task over and done in that period, they
dont have time to learn about how linux works with usb devices :)
...but is it not the case that when the device is supported through hotpluggable mechanisms it is faster to just mount and use the the files through the many capable file managers?

As a simple answer, yes you can have an internet cafe fully running
on linux with free GNU/BSD software. The question is , will people
accept it ?

Even if they might have been conditioned, if KDE is around and with a lot of enthusiasm this is possbile. There is even an XP theme somewhere!

The people behind [rainbowcyber.co.uk] have a small internet cafe running largely free software among their many other fields of interest. I also found that the folk at [nylxs.com] have something interesting along the lines of permanent public access to free machines.

Best wishes,

Ramanan