Re: [Fsfe-uk] Stalls at Marxism 2003

From: Timothy Baldwin
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Stalls at Marxism 2003
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2003 14:50:41 +0100

On Saturday 28 Jun 2003 3:10 pm, Timothy Baldwin wrote:

> Materials we should have:
>
> A paper petition against Software Patents (can anyone clarify what
> "business methods" are, and how broad the AFFS's anti-patent position is?)

No answers, so I'll stick to software patents.

I will write a draft covering the following points:

1. Patents are a form of interlectual property
2. Software patents are accumalate power in the hands of big business
3. Software patents infringe the freedom to write comuputer software.
4. Software patents are usually bariers to free software devlopment.

> A paper petition againist the nazi

Removed, due to lack of concensus on how he should be treated, and how much of
a threat he, and other nazis, are to the free software movement.

> AFFS Membership Forms
>
> Some books, I will bring my coppies of Free as in Freedom and Rebel Code
> for people to browse. Anyoue willing to lend a copy of Free Software, Free
> Society or anything else relevant?
>
> Some documents for people to take away, on Free Software in general. I
> suggest "What is Free Software?", "Why Software Should Not Have Owners" and
> "Why Software Should Be Free" from the FSF.

I can't find any relevant texts about software patents, they all seem address
the issue from a small business persective.

Some examples of non-commerical free software to distribute (Knoppix etc).

A leaflet containing address of useful websites:

  This mailing list.
  Websites of the AFFS, FSFE, and the FSF
  Other AFFS contact details.
  As examples of free software, Freashmeat, Savannah, and Sourceforge.
  UK LUG list.
  www.linux.org
  http://www.wylug.org.uk/useful_links.html - Useful Links

--
Member AFFS, WYLUG, SWP (UK), ANL, Leeds SA, Leeds Anti-war coalition
OpenPGP key fingerprint: D0A6 F403 9745 CED4 6B3B  94CC 8D74 8FC9 9F7F CFE4