Re: [Fsfe-uk] Anyone Else going to this Conference?

From: ian
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Anyone Else going to this Conference?
Date: 06 Jul 2003 16:11:45 +0100

On Sun, 2003-07-06 at 14:59, John Seago wrote:

http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/b/q102601.html

The quote on RAM was 640K ought to be enough for anyone, referring to
the DOS limit.

I also liked

The reason you see open source there at all is because we came in and
said there should be a platform that's identical with millions and
millions of machines.

and

There are people who don't like capitalism, and people who don't like
PCs. But there's no-one who likes the PC who doesn't like Microsoft.

How deluded can anyone be :-)

 Also

Interview with Acorn's Herman Hauser:

Q:
 >Do you lie awake at night worrying that you'll be first again , but
 >that someone else will make the money?
 A:
 > No [...] I often tell the story that Bill gates was trying to
 > sell me MS-DOS in the early 80s and I had to say "Bill, we can't
 > possibly take such a retrograde step, because our operating system
 > really is an operating system and has many features that MS-DOS
 > doesn't have. [...] schoolboy can type 'I am Johnny' into one of
 > our computers and be logged on through the network to a local
 > fileserver. They can use the same commands to get files down from
 > the server that they've learned with a floppy disk." And Bill's
 > answer to that was, "What's a network?"
 >[...]

 Can't find any evidence of the Internet quote. Gates in 1993 made a
speech where he clearly believed in the potential of the Internet but
didn't know how anyone could make money out of it.

http://www.commonwealthclub.org/93-10gates-speech.html

Hope this helps.

--
ian <address@hidden>