Re: [Fsfe-uk] Go OGo Go!

From: Ramanan Selvaratnam
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Go OGo Go!
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2003 16:12:33 +0100

Alex Hudson wrote:

The differences are mainly along the lines of ...
OGo integrates with OpenOffice.org (OOo)
<http://groupware.openoffice.org/glow/>
The code is Java.....

[...]

I'm usually not a language fascist either, but I don't understand the
choice of Java (well, I do, Sun are developing it).

...it seems like that the engineer/architect,
who has organised Glow is from a strong Sun background.

Although the Glow webpage looks more polished it is still early days.

Swing doesn't
integrate well into anything AFAIK, but maybe they can pull it off. I'm
certainly not installing any type of Java anytime soon to run something
like that, and it would be a miracle (IMHO) if it manages to run with
decent speed on a free interpreter if at all.

On the otherhand OGo is based on SKYRiX which is claimed to be used extensively
in large scale setups. They have used GNUStep to build the software freely
and are still taking in suggestions for contributions.

I feel more participation in this vital software development at this time.

Thanks Alex for clearing up some of the mist for me.

Best regards,

Ramanan