Re: [Fsfe-uk] Re: Schools etc. [was:RE: accu-general: Where to setup web

From: Paul
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Re: Schools etc. [was:RE: accu-general: Where to setup web site]
Date: 13 Jul 2003 00:55:59 +0100

Hi,

> >Yours is a private company working in the education sector. One of the
> >ideas floated by the current Govt is to have the likes of McDonalds or
> >even MS working in schools - that is, companies who don't know the first
> >thing about how education works
> >
> Hold on.
> These are not just private companies.
> These are well known villains ...one a convicted criminal .... who do
> not respect their users freedom.
> Reckless multinational  is more fitting.

I totally agree that their business ethics are on the dodgy side of
things, but none the less, these are the sort of companies H.M. Govt
wants to see working with schools. Can you imagine what it would be like
with Mcdogburger running a maths class?

Teacher : Jimmy, you have 5 pounds. A McWhopper costs 1.99, a diet
McCola costs 49p and a quarter pounder costs 99p. How much change would
you have to spend on a McCoffee (which you also want)
Jimmy : Dunno miss. I refuse to take part in this blantant attempt at
youth brainwashing from a company who has done more to screw up the
third world than the coffee companies ever managed in Brasil.

> >(much like the Government!)
> >
> Hmm...

Come on - you're quick enough to brand McHorseburger and M$ as crooks
and thieves, but not that bunch of rogues, liars, perverts, and
generally unpleasant social rejects running the country. Hmm...

> When I hear of a private company I think in terms of what Ian is
> reffering to.

So do I. Unfortunately, that's not the type of company those in power
think of. They should, but we all know the colour of those in power
(hint - it's the same colour as 50 pound notes...)

> >I used Sony for two reasons. First is that in education, Sony is willing
> >to give away hardware for teaching purposes for nothing and secondly as
> >they are probably the best company for marketting in the world. It was
> >once said that if the next product Sony made was a cardboard box with a
> >hole in the bottom, that a month after the launch, everyone would be
> >using them!
> >
>  I will not want my kids to use such ______...nor would I want them to
> use  what  the Beckahams squeal over the  adverts .....

I don't want my kid to be using Sony machines. However, they provide kit
completely free, with the programmer kits and with tonnes of free
support. I'm not saying that they're all goodness and light though.

Schools cry out for *good* cheap kit.

> Education should be treated more respectfully IMHO if not as something
> very sacred.
> Businesses that live off it should pay greater attention than usual to
> respect the freedoms of the end users.

I agree totally. A sign on a lectures door in my former department

"If you think education is expensive, try ignorance"

> Surely, whether these businesses are private or not is non issue, here.

Possibly.

TTFN

Paul

--
The world is throwing away oppressive regimes
Which don't allow people to choose.