Re: [Fsfe-uk] Funding Open Source

From: Neil Darlow
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Funding Open Source
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2003 23:56:41 +0100

Hi Paul,

On Thursday 02 Oct 2003 11:30 pm, Paul wrote:
> I'd love there to be someway that the likes of Scribus could be funded
> to an extent where the three of us can develop the software, yet still
> have a living wage - much in the same way as the main bunch behind
> OpenOffice are employed by Sun, yet they are exclusively on the
> OpenOffice product.

One of the goals I have for the AFSP is for it to undertake funded/sponsored
projects. The intention is that a project would generate a proper proposal
for the sponsor detailing timescales, resource requirements, the amount of
funding required etc. and, if necessary, act as employer for project members
during its lifetime.

Obviously this requires the project members to act accordingly e.g. deliver
on time, follow the project plan etc. Whether this is too much to expect of
your average free software developer remains to be seen but with the demands
imposed by the likes of upcoming software patents and IP claims etc., I can
see that free software developers will have to adapt to new working methods
anyway.

I think this type of scheme is probably what you're searching for and I hope
to make it happen once the AFSP gains some momentum.

Regards,
Neil Darlow M.Sc.
--
ICQ: 135505456  E-Mail, Jabber and MSNM: <neil at darlow.co.uk>