Re: [Fsfe-uk] Funding Open Source

From: Jason Clifford
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Funding Open Source
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2003 08:31:19 +0100 (BST)

On Thu, 2 Oct 2003, Paul wrote:

> I'd love there to be someway that the likes of Scribus could be funded
> to an extent where the three of us can develop the software, yet still
> have a living wage - much in the same way as the main bunch behind
> OpenOffice are employed by Sun, yet they are exclusively on the
> OpenOffice product.
>
> Pity there isn't some big company out there willing to do this with not
> only Scribus, but the likes of Rosegarden, Lilypond and Cinerella.

There isn't a big company for it however one small company is raising
money to do just this kind of thing in the UK - mine.

UK Free Software Network will be making it's first payment to AFFS at
Linux Expo.

The initial payment wont be that much (although it will be five times as
much as I thought it might when I last mentioned this here) however
UKFSN's accounts are now firmly in the black and the projections I have
here indicate that the financial position will get better fairly quickly.

It's up to AFFS as to how the money will be distributed and there are a
number of areas it's likely to be put to use in.

Jason Clifford
--
UKFSN.ORG               Finance Free Software while you surf the 'net
http://www.ukfsn.org/           ADSL Broadband available now