Re: [Fsfe-uk] Funding Open Source

From: ian
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Funding Open Source
Date: 04 Oct 2003 10:36:36 +0100

On Fri, 2003-10-03 at 23:08, Paul wrote:

> > > In normal circumstances, the IP and copyright and licencing conditions
> > > would become those of the person paying the money. However, in free
> > > software, the IP and copyright are normally those of the author(s) and
> > > licenced how they see fit (typically, GPL or LGPL). It is definately a
> > > difficult situation.
> >
> > Not if the development costs are lower. The choice is pay massive
> > amounts and hold the copyright or pay substantially less and have it
> > GPL.
>
> Again, it doesn't always follow.

Nothing ever always follows and it takes time for people to learn
different systems. We will have to survive many setbacks in the process
of education people but in the longer run people are like sheep.Once the
penny drops for some others will follow.

>  From bitter experience, companies who
> put anything in always want something out and rarely settle for the
> qudos.

Companies have to pay their employees and their shareholders. Companies
already pay a lot for brand awareness which is really a form of kudos.
The trick is to be able to sell them an idea of why they should spend
their money on a particular type of kudos. Unfortunately most FLOSS
developers are not salesmen so at least initially their success rates
might not be high.

> > > It certainly is a minefield, but I'm sure the obstacles can be shoved
> > > out of the way and this really worthwhile project pushed forward. Good
> > > luck Neil :-)
> >
> > Yes, sounds a good idea.
>
> Perhaps you, Neil and Jason should get together over this.

One thing that we could do is use some of the funds raised independently
to contribute so if a company commits money they don't take all the
risk. Shared risk gives them a lot more confidence. Offering matched
funding with the Gov is also a better way of getting money out of them.

--
ian <address@hidden>