Re: [Fsfe-uk] RFC: Free software project grants

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] RFC: Free software project grants
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 09:43:11 +0100

On 2003-10-16 20:25:47 +0100 Marc Eberhard <address@hidden> wrote:

Past rejections
of an application do not influence future decisions of the board concerning
this application.

Does this mean that past application history will not be looked at? It seems that it could help speed decisions if you can see whether it was rejected as "not directly applicable" or "nice project, but not enough money to fund this".

You write that process will be "open" but will applications be published for public comment? I don't know whether that would encourage other sources of funding to look at the applications or discourage people from applying because they fear someone will act on the idea first. Maybe some compromise needs to be struck, with a "public abstract" being part of the application? How do the research councils handle it? I assume that they're all private by default, from my memory of MRC procedure.

http://mjr.towers.org.uk/ gopher://g.towers.org.uk/ address@hidden